Monday, October 29, 2007

EcoEscape

Oh, Eco Tourism.

EcoEscape is an online green trip planner for travels in the UK.
The International Ecotourism Society (TIES) offers training and resources for sustainable travel
and so does the Nature Conservancy.

Now, I tend to shy away from these things. Maybe it's growing up in Colorado, but I have never had the drive to travel to far away places and look at a mountain or something. Maybe it's a lack of adventurous spirit. Or maybe it's the 1990 trip to Cave of the Winds, where a well-meaning tourguide sternly told our group that we shouldn't touch anything, that our very breathing destroyed the caves a little bit. Sensitive five year old that I was, I tried to hold my breath most of the tour... aaaaaand suddenly you have a very unhappy five year old.
I still remember a guide in the Sahara desert complaining about the Czech tourists throwing water bottles straight into the sand. Cool to see the desert, but even careful me probably had a huge impact on the environment just by living there. Still, I'm happy I'll die having seen the Sahara. It's all a balance I guess.

On another note, the Lapa Rios Ecolodge in Costa Rica is powered by pig feces.

No comments:

Post a Comment