Monday, January 26, 2009

Trashless Weekday

An update from your trashless incipient bag lady:
I have a really impressive collection of last week's produce bags growing in a cupboard. I need to sew myself some reusable bags out of old T-shirts or cheesecloth or something.

In other news, I have not found the medallion. I did, however, have a delicious trashless dinner:


Grown-Up Mac & Cheese (recipe appears courtesy Eve Thomas)
- Saute diced onions, tomatoes, and mushrooms in olive oil.
- Cook whole wheat pasta.
- Melt cheese with milk and a spoonful of flour.
- Mix together in a casserole dish, top with bread/cracker/matzo crumbs. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes.

I made it through the work day having thrown away only two sticks of gum - a bad, bad habit held over from my junior high days - and a couple of paper towels when I forgot to use the hand dryer. Oh, and I also threw out a couple of disinfectant wipes at the gym. I tried to leave my treadmill unsanitized and the desk attendant gave me a dirty look.

So we're up to about a ziplock baggie full of Jenntrash this week.

Things I learned today:
1. I have an instinct to reach for paper towels when things go wrong. It's like my adult baby blanket.
2. In the end, it's not really possible to buy anything at Trader Joe's except apples and lemon curd without creating plastic waste.

Thanks for sticking through this with me.. 2 down, 5 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment