Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Green Face!

Did you know that the average daily makeup wearer absorbs 5 lbs. of cosmetic chemicals into their body each year?


Yikes!


A June article from the Daily Telegraph details the study. "Among chemicals under scrutiny are parabens (para-hydroxybenzoic acids) which are preservatives used in products including soap, shampoo, deodorant and baby lotion. Traces of parabens have been found in breast tumour samples, although its link to the development of the cancer is disputed."

So what do I do with my fresh Wednesday paycheck? I roll on over to Whole Foods, carriers of Dr. Hauschka Cosmetics, and replace my 4 year old stash with something with fewer chemicals. Greenwashing? Maybe, but it's nice to know I'm not using mascara that's a "hothouse for bacteria." I also like the way they separately refer to makeup as "Decorative Cosmetics." That's a much healthier distinction, I think. The colors look better and the cosmetics actually smell good - and I know what things on the ingredient list are! It still weirds me out that I'm putting beeswax on my eyes, but better than cytl-benzoic-laureth-lauryl-sulfatoxin I suppose.

I think Whole Foods is having an October sale on Dr. Hauschka stuff, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment